Thursday, October 12, 2006

'Atmosphere is my style' (JMW Turner to John Ruskin in 1844)


When asked, what we speak of when we talk about architectural quality? Peter Zumthor responded in his book atmospheres quite simply: "Quality in architecture does not - not to me anyway - mean inclusion in architectural guidelines or histories of architecture or getting my work into this or that publication. Quality architecture to me is when a building manages to move me. What on earth is it that moves me?"

The book titled atmospheres represents through texts and small images his views on architecture on a more emotional, poetic, even visceral note. With continuous chapters containing theories on presence of materials, surfaces, smell, light, sound, levels of intimacy, coherence etc. Peter Zumthor describes justly, an architecture more closely related to the senses.

To fundamentally understand what Zumthor is explaining, I suggest you read the book and visit one of his 'built atmospheres'. Such as the thermal baths in Vals, a building with an overwhelming exchange with its surroundings. A truly moving experience.
book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Atmospheres-Architectural-Environments-Surrounding-Objects/dp/3764374950/sr=8-1/qid=1160673001/ref=sr_1_1/202-9799005-6663868?ie=UTF8&s=books

thermal baths
http://www.therme-vals.ch/?__locale=en

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home